Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Jason & Reece!

The babies are here and are doing great. Jason was born at 12:51 and Reece at 12:52. They washed me up around 11am and at 12:19pmI was checked into the OR. The epidural was the worst part, but I think I took it like a trooper and thank goodness for Ryan who has been at my side all day. (and when he’s not he’s “with my sons” as he says). While in the OR at first I was a little overwhelmed. They started everything right away and at one end of the room nurses were counting aloud all the tools while two NICU teams prepped for babies. It was wild and crazy and everyone was running around trying to get things settled while somebody else was counting down the time.

It felt like forever as they prepped me and I waited patiently for Ryan to come in. I asked 3 different times for him because I was so paranoid they would forget to go out and get him. When they cut me open I squeezed his hand and then before I knew it I heard “your going to feel pressure” and then bam I felt a head poking out of my belly and heard a little screaming baby. Moments later Reece was right behind and I sent Ryan off to start taking pictures while they stuffed my insides back into me. I got a quick peak at Jason and all I could remember was his jet black hair and Reece they took right to the warmer. I could see his little red shriveled legs from the table and started crying. It was a happy cry as I heard the nurses say they both scored a 9 on the apagar test.

When they took the boys down to the NICU Ryan accompanied them as I wheeled back to my room and was greeted by both mine and Ryan’s family. Ryan got an update on them and we found out that they were both breathing and only Jason needed a little bit of oxygen because he has a little fluid in his longs. Both babies had low sugar levels which are now stable and Reece had a low blood pressure which is also now stable. Reece also has something different about his man part. Basically it looks like ½ of it has already been circumcised when in actuality it hasn’t been yet. The nurses said it’s not a big deal and it can be corrected later.

About an hour after my recovery I was rolled down and spent about an hour and half with the boys just watching and patting their sweet little legs as visitors came in to also say hello and see them. Ryan has been a trooper and has been so good to both the boys and I. They had to roll me up to meet with a lactation consultant and Ry stayed with the boys and other family members. They checked my battle wound and it was leaking so they had to do a little patching up to make it stop. That was rather painful. Afterwards I was rolled back up to antepartum to my room for the rest of my recovery. I am lucky enough to be able to come back up here and for Ryan and I to have our own room with two beds.

I attempted pumping and got very little but they said I probably wouldn’t get any so at least it’s a start. While I was pumping Ryan went down to see the boys and Reece got his first bath and they also put stuff on his umbilical cord to make it fall off. They can’t do Jason’s till the fluid in his lungs gets better and the fluid dries up.

I guess that is really it for now. Thank you to everyone who sent their love and support to us today. Baby Reece and Jason, Ryan and I ask that you still pray. They are still both fragile and we hope to keep away infection and any other risks. Thank you again!

To see the album of pictures: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30852895&l=191bea1ec0&id=202500453

No comments:

Post a Comment