Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wonderful Weekend

Ryan and I had a lovely weekend together with our little bundles of joy! Friday I checked out of the hospital and Saturday was the 4th. We spent the evening watching the fireworks show that was across the street from the hospital in our little fold out chairs on the lawn. The fireworks were beautiful and as we sat there watching we talked about all the little families around us and all of the fun things we can’t wait to do with Jason and Reece. We must have said 100 times “I wish the boys were here” or “I miss the boys”. Eventually we got up about ¾’s of the way through the show and went back up to NICU where we stayed till a little after midnight. I got to hold Reece for about an hour and Ryan held Jason for about 40 minutes (till his feeding time). They were both happy and content in our arms.

Today we went back after we checked out of the hotel and grabbed lunch and stayed for about 5 hours at their side. Today Ryan and I changed Jason’s diaper together because it was a struggle to hold his little legs with the IV in his foot and all the cords…Daddy did a great job of cleaning his poopy bottom. Later we also got to do one of their bottle feeds. I started with Jason who is known to be a little complicated and well he was. He doesn’t suck as well as Reece and I didn’t have the special touch like Ryan did. Reece chowed his down giving Ry no problems and burped afterwards. It took Jason a lot longer and he choked 3 times just a little bit. The first time I panicked and then the next 2 times were a little easier but I was still paranoid. I have always hated feeding babies for that very reason. As I sat there cuddling Baby J who was content Reece started crying, ok screaming just as soon as Ryan put him back in his crib because he had to go to the bathroom. The nurse wasn’t around so I had one happy baby sleeping in my arms and another unhappy camper. Two other nurses came by to try and calm him and that didn’t work so I asked them to take Jason so I could try and be with Reece. After a few failed attempts I finally got him situated and silent just long enough to assure myself he was ok and I could take a break myself. He clearly wanted his Daddy…they are both comforted by his voice. I must say he is one heck of a Dad. He asks all the questions I don’t think of and I really don’t even have the words to describe just how sweet it is to see him interact with them so naturally. Here are a few pics from the 4th and of the feeding today…sadly I had a baby in my arms, Ryan had one in his and the camera was in his pocket when he was feeding Reece. Tomorrow Ryan goes back to work which I hate but he will join me in the evening and we will stay for a couple of hours before coming home. I will be living at the hospital for the next few weeks but don't really mine.

Ok here were their orders for today:
Jason & Reece get two bottle feeds. Jason’s oxygen stayed at 21% which is the same as what you and I breathe…he just has a little flow helping push it through him set at .25 litters which is great. They expect it to be turned off all together tomorrow. Both boys were being moved to level two today. They were performing level two prior to being moved but not it is official and they have new little cribs with bigger healthier babies.

When we called earlier both of them have had two poop diapers since we left at 4:45 and were behaving just fine with the changes made with their IV’s, tubes, and air levels. GREAT NEWS.






Feeding Reece his first bottle from someone other than the nurse!


Holding baby Reece after fireworks on the 4th!

Ryan and I together at the firework show :)
We make agood team huh?

Mommy & Daddy with Reece in his festive hat
from the hospital!





No comments:

Post a Comment