Sunday, July 12, 2009

Weekend Events

Ryan and I enjoyed our weekend once again with the boys. On Friday I went to the doctor over my infection and he said it appears to be healing but would like to see me again on Thursday. After a day with my boys my Mom & Dad came down to give me a nap/pump break and then we went to dinner once Ryan got to the hospital. Saturday I spent 12 ½ hours at the hospital while Ryan worked. During the day Ryan’s Mom stopped by and later we went to dinner with Ryan’s Dad and girlfriend. Before dinner, Karen, my fabulous nurse who took care of me so many nights came by to see the boys and then Ryan’s best friend Ryan Torres came up after dinner and then stayed the night with us at the hotel. I was exhausted by the end of the day Saturday and today I feel like I still haven’t had any sleep. Pumping all hours of the night is rough. I feel like by the time I go to sleep my alarm is going off again to start all over. Today the boys also had a visit from my Aunt Laurie & Uncle Dion. They were pretty content for the majority of the weekend. The only time they cried or were fussy was about 10-15 minutes before feeding time. Jason REALLY likes to be held. I think he knows when people are around because he does things for attention so you will pick him up. Reece on the other hand is so chill and doesn’t seem to mind.

I feel like I am finally “mommy”. Before this weekend I knew they were my babies, but since I wasn’t getting to do much with them I didn’t feel like they were my babies. This weekend the nurse, Molly, boosted my involvement letting me take them in and our of their “little warm home”, change diapers before feedings, take temperature…and other little things that Mommy would do with babies. I still haven’t gotten to bathe them, but did do a lot of feedings this weekend. Feeding a preemie is so much more complicated than a newborn because preemies can’t suck/swallow/breathe so you are stuck “training” them. I had one choking baby to start and by today we were mastering feeds for the most part. The nurse today however bothered me because there was hardly anything left in the bottle and she says “show mommy how you can really finish your bottle” as she took Reece from me and continued to feed him what was mostly bubbly milk with lots of air. HELLO GAS! Anyways I feel better about feeding and started getting the hang of all the little tricks you can do to keep them awake and to help them to remember that they have to breathe, suck and swallow all at once.

The only changes to today’s orders or really any orders over the last few days is that Jason got bumped up to 3 bottles. So now both boys are feeding at 3 bottles each and 5 tube feeds. Now that they are starting to catch on hopefully the number will increase a little faster. Reece still has a little work to do. He goes to town and then the last little chunk he doesn’t take as fast. I am sure his little tummy is telling him YOUR FULL! As for Jason the nurse told me today the key to him eating is breast milk. She said he takes it a lot better and much faster than the formula. The only problem there is I don’t produce enough for the both of them and Reece gets it over Jason still because Reece needs to grow and the breast milk has more of the goods Reece needs. I am trying so hard to make it work and I am not giving up! I will pump till I shrivel up. I can see a big difference in the boys feedings when they have the real deal so every bit counts. I wish there was something more I could do…today I was feeling a little discouraged when this woman pumped behind the curtain today and came out with a full 4oz bottle. I didn’t even know that was possible…lol I thought filling a 2 o bottle would be a miracle much less a 4 oz. in one pump!

My agenda for this week includes….
Mon: Ride up with Ryan to the hospital for the evening visit only
Tues: Spend all day w/ my sister at the hospital and wait for Ryan that evening
Wed: Ride up with Ryan to the hospital for the evening visit only
Thurs: My day with my Mom & the boys at the hospital till Ry gets there
Fri: If nothings changed go up if there are family members who want to visit and then have my time with the boys & Ry that evening when he gets off work and spend the weekend in Webster.

If you are wanting to come up to see the boys call or text me first to make sure either Ryan or I one can be there or that there’s not somebody else already there. If any family members are wanting to visit Friday would be fine as long as you let me know so I can be there to let you in…other than that I am taking some time for a little bit of rest this week and to get some things done that are my to-do before my to-do is maxed out! Ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment