Saturday, August 15, 2009

Reflux Frustration

I am really rather concerned and slightly annoyed with Reece’s reflux. We changed formulas after seeing the doctor on Thursday and he also cut his medicine back and it seems to only be getting worse. When he was discharged from the hospital the nurses said he was only doing it every now and then and not every feed. Now we are the point that he does it at least 4 times after a feed and sometimes as much as 7. I worry he isn’t gaining the weight he needs. I have a scale here at home and am going to put him on it in the morning around the same time he was weighed on Thursday. He should be well over 5 pounds by now but I have a feeling with as much as he is shooting out his nose what he eats is coming right back up. At the 4 pm feed I am certain all came up because he was given another 2oz at 6 because he was starving…oh the frustration.

Jason also had a major major blow on Friday. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. Literally he was on one end of the couch and shot milk to the other end from his nose and mouth. It looked like somebody had poured a ½ gallon of milk all over the couch and him. It was awful and scary because for a few short seconds he couldn’t breathe. I did speak with Humble Pediatrics and the doctor who was in that day suggested going back to the Neosure Formula as opposed to the regular Similac Advance and if continued to give him Pedialyte in between feeds. Luckily we didn’t have another scare like that again but he is back on the high calorie formula which Dr. Stanley wanted him off of so he wouldn’t gain too much weight.

Sooo with all of this being said I am going to keep Reece on the new formula for another 24 hours and come Monday morning I will probably call and see if I can’t get him in with a different doctor. I also think I want a referral for the neuro so have the dimple further checked out. Rather be proactive and safe as opposed to waiting to see if something comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment