Wednesday, September 2, 2009

2 Month Check- Up

Oh my how my little munchkins are growing up so quickly. Today we had our two month check up. The boys turned two months on Sunday…the doctors visit was actually rather enjoyable. I ran into another twin Mommy there today and that alone just made my day. Kim also has two miracle babies, but I must say hers are even bigger miracles than my little Jason and Reece, but none the less all of them are such sweet blessings. Blake and Owen were actually born before my little guys and were smaller. Needless to day they are big and strong now and the small one of the two is already walking. The entire time I was pregnant after being put in touch with Kim, they became my hope and encouragement that the pregnancy and my boys would all go well.

Jason weighs a whopping 10 pounds 10 ounces and is 22 inches long. Reece is slowly catching up and is 6 pounds 8 ounces and was 18 inches long. I had a long list of questions and concerns to discuss, most of which were minor.

*Constipation- both boys will go 2-4 days like its nothing but grunts and gas with no poopy diaper. I end up using lots of Karo & apply juice to fix the trick. As long as they don’t go 5 days and there’s not blood in the stool she said we should be ok. I was worried about this mainly because Ryans brother, Jason, who passed away had ____________which has to do with the intestines and passing stools. Needless to say this is just something we should monitor since the symptoms aren’t usually very obvious. (Nothing to worry about for now).

*Formula: Jason was changed back to Similac Advance so that he gets less calories and we are also suppose to try and slowly reduce the amount of rice cereal he gets. As for Reece he will stay on the Similac Neosure and we will be changing to oatmeal instead of rice cereal. In three weeks we are going back to check his weight because right now he is starting to fall or the growth curve. Dr. Smoot said it could be that his growth spurt just hasn’t kicked in yet and if in 3 weeks he is still a little behind then we will add calorie packs to his feedings.

*Jason’s Big Toes: Funny, I know! His big toes are growing into the skin. They are usually bright red so I have been putting cream on them. The doctor said its common for the nail to grow at a triangular point and that I should run my fingers under the nails to keep them from sticking to the skin and growing inward.

*Jason’s Penis: Poor kid…the skin had started sticking to the head of the penis and wasn’t below the rim. Dr. Smoot had to pull it back and it started bleeding which we expected to happen. I had noticed when bathing him that it looked funny and when I pulled back on it he screamed so I didn’t mess with it except to wash because I am not to familiar with those little gadgets. (Little girls seem so much easier…boys are all new to me!)

*RSV: We have been told over and over by the neo nurses and doctors and both pediatricians that they need the RSV vaccination. RSV is a really bad respiratory virus that can be deadly and is especially harmful to preemies born before 35 weeks. I’ll soon (next day or so) be posting all about RSV and the precautions we must take. In the past the shot was given pretty freely. Now the guidelines have become stricter and go figure, the boys can’t get the vaccine! Not a good deal! Again, like I said, much more to come about RSV.

*Flu: This is something the pedi brought up and not me. She said flu season has already started and its spreading really quickly. It very important that J & R not get sick. Their immune systems aren’t very strong and because of their size. She said that Ryan and I both need to get shots this weekend and all of those who come in contact with the boys need a flu shot. So get your shots people! If you suspect your getting sick please give I a few days before coming around just for their safety.

Other than that, that’s about all that went on with the exception of their two month immunizations. I held both of their little hands and when the needle got them they had a death grip onto my thumb. It was kind of cute, but also very sad because they screamed so loudly. The worst part was they each had 3 shots and one oral vaccine. After the fact they were both just fine. They slept most of the day and then this afternoon had a good little fuss that sounded like a painful cry. They both got over it with a little TLC, sleep and Tylenol. Thank goodness for my Mom taking off today though! I could not get out in public without help yet all because of their stupid reflux. I can’t count the number of times I had to have lean into the backseat and suck little Reece’s nose while I was driving! I guess it goes without saying, but the boys have defiantly brought me even closer to my Mom which is hard to imagine because we were already so close to begin with! Okay well I must get going. I am actually at my parents’ house now with the boys. Ryan was sick this afternoon. Pretty sure its just allergies, but he wanted to go to bed early so I asked him if he would mind me brining the boys here and he get a solid nights sleep. Just one of the many benefits of living close to the parents still!

No comments:

Post a Comment