Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hit The Beach!

On Friday my sister, mom, the boys and I all left to meet up with my cousins from Austin and their kiddos to go to Galveston for the weekend. We were originally going to drive down on Saturday morning, but changed our minds so that we would have two full days. Ryan was planning to fish with the guys Friday night and wouldn't be around anyways so I didn't feel guilty about leaving him behind.
Yesterday we hung out at the house with all the kids. My sister and cousin, Kim, got the kids a pool to put out at the house under the deck so that they wouldn't get burned during the day at the beach. Yesterday evening we went down to the beach with the kids. Although it was 5 in the afternoon, the sun was still blazing and the pink tent on the boys face was a red flag for me after the last burn to get the back to the house. They were so cute through because I sat up at the top of the beach where the waves were just barely hitting the sand with Jason on one leg and Reece on the other. They sat their for a while just watching the waves. They were so fascinated by the people, sound of the ocean, and the sand.
After the beach we brought the boys in and bathed them and then got ready for bed. Yesterday morning the boys went down for a nap and I sat outside with my ipod on the deck. My ipod hasn't been updated since college and I am so glad because all of the songs are like an escape to my youth and take me back mentally to when life was just a little more carefree...As I sat there on the desk with the sun beaming down on me with my music turned up, I felt like I didn't have a care or worry in the world. For a few very brief seconds I wasn't stressed or thinking about the kids, what to cook for dinner, and didn't have my daily task list on repeat playing in my head. I felt like I was 20 again enjoying the sun and laying out by the pool after finals were over...and then I came back down to reality. I think people who might read this would think to their selves oh how selfish to think such thoughts and not be grateful for your children. Funny things is unless you’re a parent you have no idea what its like to just have a few minutes of your own "me" time and how powerful those moments are.
So today we plan to do pretty much the same thing as we did yesterday. Currently the boys are sleeping and I am outside enjoying my music on my ipod and sitting on the desk soaking up just a little bit of the sun. My cousins are about to go for a run so we will throw all the kids in the pool and hopefully grab a bite to eat later and wrap up the day with a little beach time. It’s so nice to get away and relax. I think J&R enjoy this just as much as I do. To get out of our routine and do something different is always needed from time to time. I plan to fully enjoy the next 24 hours before getting back to the norm tomorrow. Here are a few pictures of yesterday and the boys first beach experience. I just love these two sweet babies and am so glad for the little moments and memories that we are making with them. They may not remember going to the beach or San Antonio a few weeks ago, but they will have the pictures with family and friends and see just how much they are loved. (There are so many cute pictures, but these are just a few. After the 30th I will post the 10-11 month album with all the photos.)


3 comments:

  1. First off I may not be a parent yet but I STILL think Moms and Dads need personal time and it is NOT selfish- in fact it makes you a BETTER parent because it keeps you from going crazy!! I wish I were there because I'd come relieve you for more "you" time!
    Second LOVE the pictures and the new layout picture!!! I hope you're framing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Amanda, I'm so glad you got a chance to enjoy some "you" time and don't you dare feel bad for it! I think it's great you got a chance to zone out and relax. I'm sure the times when this happens are few and far between, so I say enjoy it while you can! I look forward to hopefully seeing you next month and I am bummed I wasn't able to make this trip. I'm sure there will be more in the future! Hugs - Cousin Christi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl it is so far from selfish. I totally know what you mean. It is very important for you to do that too or you will go into overload. Glad you got that escape ..as brief as it may be.. it can be so energetic for me to throw on the 80's music and go to Kroger alone girl..people without kids are laughing going yeah ok a trip to the store alone is refreshing.. oh yes.. yes it is.. can mean the difference in a smile or a snap at the end of the day when David isn't helping me with something. If I have had that time I can calmly say do ya mind..if not it's ya know what I know you work but ...blah blah blah.. ya know what I mean??? Anyway HUGS girl! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete