Monday, May 3, 2010

Updating From Texas Childrens

Today is the day Reece has his surgery on his penis to correct his hypospadias. In addition to that they will straighten his penis and also perform his circumcision.

I have been here enough now that I know that TCH has free wifi in the west tower and near the food court so I brought my computer along for the wait while Reece undergoes surgery. I woke up my sweet baby this morning at 6:15 and he just wanted to go back to sleep. When we got here we checked in at 7:20 and then proceeded to register, met with the nurse practitioner and then the doctor followed by the entire team. They took Reece back just a little after 9:30.
Ryan and I volunteered to participate in a study that is being conducted by urology. Basically they are taking samples from 1000 children and parents who have the same issue as Reece. They have to draw blood from and collect saliva from the both of us. They will use the samples to see if there is a similar mutated gene amongst all the samples. I thought it was pretty cool.
As for Reece surgery should take around two hours. The doctor said they don’t foresee any problems and would go over post-op procedures once he is out. I also asked the doctor about Reece’s kidneys and he didn’t act to alarmed about it and said they will monitor as we continue to follow up with urology. So for now we have a pager and are sitting out in the west tower walk way. I was about to freeze to death everywhere else in this place so it is nice to be in the sunshine!
Keep my little man in your prayers. I feel certain God has his hand on him and in a few hours he will be kicking around and ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment