Monday, April 27, 2009

Preterm Labor Contractions

Tonight marks the start of a journey I was not yet ready to make. About 7:40 my nurse came in and we talked about the usual…last time you ate, dizzy, nausea…and the list goes on. She asked if I had any contractions and I said honestly I wouldn’t know at this point because I am not sure what are babies moving, muscles stretching and actual contractions. I told her I felt tightness, but not pain.

At 8 I started getting monitored and about 9 she came back in and looked at the report and informed that I was indeed having preterm contractions. I too had already slightly picked up on it because I could see the small curves form on the screen when the tightness occurred. Between 8 and 9 I had a total of 10 contractions and she left me on a little longer. Between 9 and 9:30 I only had one and then after 9:30 till I came off about 9:50 I had about two. They are only counting contractions that last longer than 30 seconds at this point. I asked the nurse what was the norm and she said for twins its not alarming, but you shouldn’t see signs of contractions prior to 32 weeks and at that we usually treat them unless there’s 6 or more in an hour.

Sooooooooo lets cross our fingers, hope and pray that the doctors can keep me on hold for several more weeks or that they vanish and this is just a small spell that’s occurring. They are going to monitor again in the morning and depending on what it looks like and what the doctor says they may or may not put me on an IV of magnesium sulfate. For now I have taken 2mg of Albuterol and need to drink lots of liquids…so that is what I am going to do!

Keep us in your prayers please!

No comments:

Post a Comment