Monday, April 27, 2009

A better explanation of what is going on...maybe?

So a couple of updates…This morning at 5 am I was awakened for my glucose test (take II!) and had blood drawn at 5, 5:30, 6, 7 and 8. I use to hate giving blood, shots etc but I am really starting to get use to it and it doesn’t really bother me near as much. I did get rather dizzy and light headed from the glucose drink, but the doctor said that is normal because of the large amount they require you to drink so quickly. About 7am my breakfast was brought and I couldn’t eat it because of the testing and then headed off to ultra sounds.

The good news is both of the boys still look healthy from the outside looking in. The fluid in the sacs is still abundant, heart rates look great on both and even their measurements have remained consistent. Reece is 21 weeks and 1 day and Jason is right at 26 weeks. There’s still a gap there, but it would be alarming if suddenly one caught up to the other so this is good progress. In addition to Reece weights 14 ounces while Jason is 1.8 pounds! I am currently at the start of my 26th week so we need to hang on still a bit longer! The problem still appears to be with the cord. Dr. Rowe and the ultra sound technician were able to get a good view and compare the cords today. Usually babies have a white thick liquid that surrounds them in the womb and helps protect the cord. Reece lacks a lot of this around his cord and so his appears to be “scrawny”. Also a healthy umbilical cords cross section kind of looks like a Mickey-Mouse head consisting of the vein and two arteries. (See the picture with this blog) Jason’s looks normal. Reece’s has the vein and then one bigger artery and one smaller artery that’s kind of more lop-sided which is probably a good reason for the blood restriction that has been occurring. I hope that helps explain what is going on a little bit better. It’s the best I can do to explain what I understand. The doctors said its rare and they don’t see it too often, but when they do they have no understanding of what causes one artery to be bigger than the other.

As for me, there’s no word yet on my glucose results. One slight alarm we had while doing the ultra sound is that my cervix is beginning to “funnel”. In other words the sac of liquid is starting to fall into my cervix which could results in fluid leakage or early contractions soon if not monitored carefully. The doctor has noted in my files to only monitor the heartbeats now 1 hour each day and to monitor for contractions every 8 hours. I am also suppose to record any type of pressure I notice…the only problem is I don’t really know what it’s suppose to feel like. I feel as though my belly is tight all the time and I always have pressure up in-between my ribcage where both of their heads are because both boys are breech.

Mom also talked t the insurance case manager and asked he at what point are the babies able to survive…they responded that the goal for now is 28 weeks, then 32-33, then 34 is considered the golden week with twins. So in case your wondering here is where I would be…Keep in mind Reece is behind and would be 3 ½ to 4 weeks smaller.

28 Weeks Means May 16th

32-33 Weeks Means June 5th -12

34 Weeks Means June 17th

No comments:

Post a Comment